Software Engineering Tech Lead/Manager
About the Peterson Center on Healthcare
The Peterson Center on Healthcare is a non-profit organization dedicated to making higher quality, more affordable healthcare a reality for all Americans. The organization is working to transform U.S. healthcare into a high-performance system by finding innovative solutions that improve quality and lower costs, and accelerating their adoption on a national scale. Established by the Peter G. Peterson Foundation, the Center collaborates with stakeholders across the healthcare system and engages in grant-making, partnerships, and research.
The Software Engineering Tech Lead will develop the Center’s software development capacity by both working with and managing the technical output of software development consultants, and building the internal ability to quickly prototype and deploy software to our primary care practice, facilitator and internal staff users. Reports to the Director of Product Development. This is a full-time position located in New York, N.Y.
The successful candidate will be the voice of technology in our organization, being the go-to person on every aspect of our software development with the ability to quickly translate abstract concepts into reality. You will begin as an individual contributor, and grow into a tech lead/manager role as you work with our partners and product team.
The main responsibilities of the job include:
- Developing functional software prototypes from user stories generated by our UX research analyst and field team, and deploying these prototypes to physician and practice staff users, and collecting user feedback to share with team
- Managing a team of software developers and designers from an external local development agency to ship product features meeting the deadlines of our MVP and Alpha/Beta releases through 2017 and into 2018
- Partnering with Director of Product Development on technical ownership after our work with a development agency to build a MVP, integrating product releases with iterations on an evolving service model (human coaching/facilitation)
- Monitoring product performance and reliability through tools such as PagerDuty and NewRelic, along with log analysis tools such as Kibana, Elasticsearch, and Logstash
- Proactively addressing software product bugs, and building in a test driven development environment and quality assurance system
- Actively contribute to open source community, along with demonstrated involvement and contributions/authored packages (Github, etc.)
The ideal candidate will have:
- Strong hands-on technical skills and the ability to contribute to coding and architecture
- Both backend and frontend development experience
- Preference for using latest open source technologies and frameworks such as Node.js, React, Python, Ruby on Rails
- Ability to quickly build and ship functional prototypes with user analytics/tracking baked in for continuous user feedback and iterations
- Track record of leadership and successful product delivery in a startup or agile technology company
- Multiple years of professional agile experience including TDD and pairing
- Credibility and the ability to build relationships with the open source development community
- Passion for creating a new type of care model in healthcare that leverages technology in ways that can result in a step-function improvement in both patient outcomes and cost of delivery
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative multi-disciplinary team who bring experience in improvement science, healthcare management, public health, design, software development, product, and more
- Excellent project management and multi-tasking skills
- Nice to have: Experience working with and sourcing multiple types of healthcare data across cost of care (claims), clinical (EHR), qualitative (staff/patient satisfaction, engagement)
- Nice to have: Experience integrating with software systems at hospitals and developing relationships with staff to build these integrations
- 3–6+ years of experience in software development, ideally with 2–3 years of experience developing applications for healthcare stakeholders
- 1–2+ years of experience managing a team of developers to successfully ship product features throughout the lifecycle of a product
- Passion for social entrepreneurship and improving healthcare
We are a dynamic, growing organization that embraces critical thinking, problem solving and innovative ideas. If you have relevant experience and qualifications, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.