Director, Product Development
About the Peterson Center on Healthcare
The Peterson Center on Healthcare is a non-profit organization dedicated to making higher quality, more affordable healthcare a reality for all Americans. The organization is working to transform U.S. healthcare into a high-performance system by finding innovative solutions that improve quality and lower costs, and accelerating their adoption on a national scale. Established by the Peter G. Peterson Foundation, the Center collaborates with stakeholders across the healthcare system and engages in grant-making, partnerships, and research.
The Center is seeking a Director, Product Development to drive forward all software development efforts at the organization. The Director, Product Development will report to the Executive Director. This is a full-time position located in New York, N.Y.
The Director, Product Development will co-lead a cross-functional team of engineers, designers, and healthcare improvers, alongside the Director, Dissemination. This will involve both setting the strategy and laying the framework for operational efficiency in managing a high-performance software development and design team. The team will produce a portfolio of web and mobile products in support of a coach-based service model guiding primary care practice manager users through the process of adopting essential best practices that improve quality of care and lower costs in the overall healthcare system. Our first product is called PracticeCoach, a project management and data visualization tool that aims to help quality improvement coaches and primary care practice teams accelerate the rate of workflow changes to primary care practices and sustain these changes over time.
The main responsibilities of the job include:
- Setting the vision, strategy, and roadmap for a diversified portfolio of technology products supporting our primary care transformation work
- Leadership of a cross-functional team of designers, engineers, and product managers, growing and developing this team into a high-performance unit
- Aligning and negotiating with key stakeholders to achieve the vision of the Center and product(s)
- Strategy development and managing operational execution with leadership team peers
- Being an internal champion for agile development principles: across user research, software development, design, and more
- Creating and maintaining a culture of continuous feedback and development, driving continuous and iterative build, release, and measure cycles
The ideal candidate will have:
- Significant experience leading engineers and designers to ship technology products from conception to maturity and manage across a product’s lifecycle
- An ability to lead with influence, and create buy-in across a lateral leadership team, senior management, and direct reports for executing the product vision
- Cross-functional work experience and the ability to build relationships with and communicate with non-technical stakeholders, achieve buy-in and negotiate a path forward
- Experience building and launching products in regulated industries with users who may be technologically wary (such as healthcare!), with an eye for user experience
- Experience building technology products that are part of a larger service model (in our case in partnership with coaches)
- Crystal clear communication skills—you ship user stories, emails, documentation, presentations, and more that are jargon-free and well understood by their intended audience
- Technical know-how—you know how technology products are built, can speak the language with engineers, and are excited by the latest tech trends, but can ground yourself at the same time
- Business chops—you know how to crank out Excel models to show how basic assumptions have impact on our work and ability to scale
- Presence—the ability to motivate a team and present with confidence to management in order to get buy-in for everything from the smallest user story to a presentation on long-term strategy
- Metrics, metrics, metrics—the ability to find the right data to measure success against objectives
- Humility—realizing that you are not an expert in every domain, and a beginner’s mindset willing to learn from other experts on the team or outside
- Resilience—despite our significant resources, we are still operating with the nimbleness of an early stage startup and will go through highs and lows, but we need someone who is resolute in their determination to push us forward
- 7–10+ years of experience in product management, entrepreneurial leadership
- Preferred: 3–5 years of experience working in the healthcare industry, experience developing HIPAA compliant products
We are a dynamic, growing organization that embraces critical thinking, problem solving, and innovative ideas. If you have relevant experience and qualifications, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.