Junior UX Designer
About the Peterson Center on Healthcare
The Peterson Center on Healthcare is a non-profit organization dedicated to making higher quality, more affordable healthcare a reality for all Americans. The organization is working to transform U.S. healthcare into a high-performance system by finding innovative solutions that improve quality and lower costs, and accelerating their adoption on a national scale. Established by the Peter G. Peterson Foundation, the Center collaborates with stakeholders across the healthcare system and engages in grant-making, partnerships, and research.
The Center is seeking a Junior UX Designer to support the organization’s product design efforts with PracticeCoach. The successful candidate will iteratively design and implement feasible concepts for PracticeCoach by applying a user-centered design approach. The role embodies a passionate, yet pragmatic designer who can analyze customer needs and behaviors, identify problem solving opportunities, and successfully transform opportunities into visually intuitive and elegant user experiences. The Junior UX Designer will report to the Interaction Designer. This is a full-time position located in New York, N.Y.
The main responsibilities of the job include:
- Generate clear concepts and design elements in collaboration with interaction designer to make the user experience accessible, intuitive, and meaningful to users
- Execute final designs for developers to implement and ensure consistency of design elements across the product experience
- Present designs and supporting rationale to product team and broader team
- Lead brainstorms, critiques, and reviews of design concepts regularly
- Support leading User Experience Research activities such as planning UX research, user recruitment, conducting research, and synthesizing research
- Collaborate with program end users, the Center's staff, interaction designer, product director, and external partners
- Provide insight into branding and positioning to maximize user adoption and mass distribution
The ideal candidate will have:
- Experience with an iterative design process, and a recognition that the first design is rarely the final design
- Proficient in design tools such as Sketch, InVision. etc. and preferably advanced prototyping skills with tools such as Axure, Muse, Balsamiq, etc.
- Attention to detail and passionate problem solver with critical thinking skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Be a resourceful and focused self-starter, comfortable with managing research and design efforts
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to think independently, strategically, and creatively
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities, adjust to changing circumstances, organize time efficiently, and remain attentive to details
- Ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced, fluid environment
- 1–2 years of experience designing digital products
- Bachelor's degree in design (e.g. Interaction Design, Graphic Design, Visual Design, Communications Design, Product Design, Industrial Design, Human Computer Interaction, Information Systems)
- Experience in UX research methods such as semi-structured interviews, contextual field visits, usability studies either live or remote (e.g. usertesting.com)
- Experience in the U.S. healthcare is preferred but not required
We are a dynamic, growing organization that embraces critical thinking, problem solving, and innovative ideas. If you have relevant experience and qualifications, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.