About the Peterson Center on Healthcare
The Peterson Center on Healthcare is a non-profit organization dedicated to making higher quality, more affordable healthcare a reality for all Americans. The organization is working to transform U.S. healthcare into a high-performance system by finding innovative solutions that improve quality and lower costs, and accelerating their adoption on a national scale. Established by the Peter G. Peterson Foundation, the Center collaborates with stakeholders across the healthcare system and engages in grant-making, partnerships, and research. Two specific grant-making portfolios within the Center include the following:
Recognizing that the healthcare system too often fails those who need it the most, the Center has been working to improve the quality and lower the cost of care for high-need patients since 2015. High-need individuals have clinically complex needs, functional limitations, and/or behavioral health conditions, and are more likely to incur high healthcare costs.
In an effort to glean generalizable learnings around scaling healthcare delivery innovations, the Center also funds a growing portfolio of special projects that fall outside its current program areas. Many of these projects have the potential to become part of new standalone focus areas in the future.
About the Opportunity
The Center is seeking a Research Associate to support the Center’s program focused on scaling high-impact healthcare innovations for both the High-Need Patient and Special Projects portfolios. This position will dually report to the Senior Managers of these portfolios to support the development of new grants, partnerships and learning opportunities in accordance with the Center’s emerging strategies. This is a full-time position located in New York, N.Y.
The Associate will learn about making impactful philanthropic investments by supporting the Senior Managers to manage grants across their lifecycle from ideation and approval to evaluation and dissemination of final deliverables. Specific responsibilities include:
- Ensuring grantees have all applicable forms and templates to submit a new proposal and conduct an initial review of submitted materials,
- Tracking the project status and performance metrics of deliverables and modification requests,
- Updating Senior Managers and tracking tools on status of grants,
- Managing the modification and closeout process for all grants,
- Working closely with the Foundation grants team to ensure that grants are in compliance with organizational policies and processes,
- Improving and streamlining processes to ensure efficiency, and
- Preparing agendas, meeting materials and taking minutes during virtual and in-person meetings with grantees and partners and facilitating and monitoring follow-up activities.
Research and Synthesis
- Carrying out due diligence research on potential grantees and partners,
- Conducting horizon scanning of new developments, trends and perspectives related to portfolio strategy and individual investments, and
- Attending conferences and events to elicit key insights from thought leaders on relevant topics.
About the Successful Candidate
The ideal candidate will be intellectually curious, operationally focused and detail-oriented. They will think and react strategically and with flexibility in response to continually evolving organizational priorities and opportunities. More specifically, the ideal candidate will bring:
- Strong writing, research and analytical skills with the ability to synthesize information.
- A collaborative and constructive approach with colleagues and external partners.
- Proven skill and comfort in prioritizing, multi-tasking and efficiently delivering high-quality work products.
- High attention to detail, willingness to be hands-on as necessary, high degree of flexibility in attitude and working style and ability to work independently.
- Ability to understand and interrogate budgets and financial reporting.
- Excellent judgment; adept at exercising discretion and tact in complex, confidential situations.
- Prior experience in management consulting, corporate strategy, business operations or other professional services, program or project management, or related experience.
- Understanding of and interest in healthcare delivery and financing, healthcare system transformation and healthcare policy a plus.
- Prior philanthropic experience as a funder or grantee a plus.
Education and Travel
Master’s degree in healthcare administration, public health, public policy or related field is a plus. Less than 20% of travel required.
We are a dynamic, growing organization that embraces critical thinking, problem-solving and innovative ideas. If you have relevant experience and qualifications, please send your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Peterson Center on Healthcare is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.