Senior Manager, Healthcare Data and Markets
About the Peterson Center on Healthcare
The Peterson Center on Healthcare is a non-profit organization dedicated to making higher quality, more affordable healthcare a reality for all Americans. The organization is working to transform U.S. healthcare into a high-performance system by finding innovative solutions that improve quality and lower costs, and accelerating their adoption on a national scale. Established by the Peter G. Peterson Foundation, the Center collaborates with stakeholders across the healthcare system and engages in grant-making, partnerships, and research.
About the Opportunity
The Center is seeking a Senior Manager, Healthcare Data and Markets (“Senior Manager”) to support its grant portfolio focused on driving higher value healthcare purchasing. These grant initiatives focus on helping purchasers apply actionable information about healthcare price and quality to inform their decision-making and improve the cost, quality and appropriateness of healthcare. Armed with the right information on healthcare performance, purchasers will have the potential to help transform American healthcare into a sustainable, high-performing system.
Reporting to the Director, Analytics and Learning, this position will develop, manage and lead a new portfolio of grants, partnerships and learning opportunities in accordance with the Center’s emerging strategy focused on data access, availability and employer purchasing of healthcare services. The Senior Manager will build relationships with potential partners, grantees and the broader healthcare funding community.
Grant Design and Portfolio Management
- Lead a portfolio of large, multi-year grants for the Center, such as:
- Building and managing purchaser coalitions to control healthcare costs for their populations,
- Developing and testing analytic tools that accelerate the management, analysis and use of healthcare performance data,
- Scaling high performance social and information innovations such as multi-payer claims databases, information exchanges or purchaser networks, that increase healthcare data access, availability and foster social action to control total cost of care.
- Oversee and execute the grant lifecycle process with grantees including:
- Serve as a thought partner in each step of the grant making process from ideation to proposal development and management of deliverables and final outcomes,
- Synthesize learnings to develop and present complex deliverables to leadership,
- Evaluate project outcomes to develop recommendations for subsequent funding,
- Ensure strict financial compliance and oversight, meticulously track project status, internal and external partner updates, necessary follow-ups and next steps, and
- Work closely with the Foundation Grant Operations team to ensure that projects comply with organizational policies and processes.
- Work with Director, Analytics and Center leadership to expand portfolio by identifying thoughtful, strategically aligned partnerships and projects that best leverage the Center’s philanthropic capital to significantly impact the cost and quality of U.S. healthcare.
- Work with the peer Senior Manager, Healthcare Data and Markets and other staff to identify and implement process improvements related to grant creation, management and administration.
Internal Strategy and Management
- Collaborate closely with Director, Analytics, Senior Manager, Healthcare Data and Markets and the executive team on internal strategic priorities and decision making regarding the portfolio and the broader program,
- Partner with Monitoring and Evaluation staff and Research staff to commission, oversee and conduct relevant research, analyses and evaluations, and share key findings,
- Ensure constant scans of the healthcare field, including debates, developments, new research findings and policy decisions,
- Manage the work of junior staff where appropriate to support projects across the grant lifecycle, and
- Work with the Director to develop professional learning and growth opportunities.
External Network and Relationship Development
- Build relationships with, and serve as a connector and convener of foundations, experts, leadership organizations and other key partners,
- Represent the Center at external meetings and conferences to showcase Center projects and learnings and to generate new learnings for the Center, and
- Partner with Center’s Manager, Digital Communications to identify opportunities to promote and elevate grantees’ work.
About the Successful Candidate
Are you someone who:
Drives results: An independent, self-starter with strong bottom-line orientation, comfortable owning tasks both large and small, persistent in accomplishing objectives despite obstacles and setbacks, track record of exceeding goals successfully, results-oriented pushing self and others to achieve results, can-do attitude with a willingness to jump into projects as needed.
Brings nimble learning: Learns quickly when facing new situations, independently gathers, collects and analyzes data to drive decisions and set direction, experiments to find solutions and thinks out of the box; takes on the challenge of unfamiliar tasks, extracts lessons learned from research, failures and mistakes, enjoys the challenge of ambiguity and is highly adaptable.
Has strategic mindset and agility: Able to develop a big-picture view and continuously adjust and adapt strategic direction in your projects, as a consequence of changing circumstances and organizational ambitions; understands the position of the Center in the larger context, fosters new products, services and funding approaches that create value for the organization and community.
Has analytical prowess: Able to apply logical thinking to complex problems, identify and define problems, extract key information from data and develop workable solutions for the problems identified in order to test and verify the cause of the problem and develop solutions to resolve the problems identified.
Excels at project management: Able to organize activities and staff clearly into an efficient workflow to deliver projects, creates and manages work plans, sets timelines and milestones, and involves stakeholders to set clear expectations on roles and responsibilities, considers the numerous factors affecting a decision in a complex environment and able to manage cross-functional teams.
Is a superior communicator: Able to speak, write and present clearly, effectively, succinctly and spontaneously, especially under time pressures, able to synthesize complex information and transform complex issues into understandable and persuasive messages.
Builds robust networks: Builds strong formal and informal networks, maintains relationships across a variety of functions and locations, and draws upon multiple relationships to exchange ideas, resources and know-how.
Is a team player: Collaborates with peers on projects and incorporates suggestions, feedback and best practices into work product.
Additionally, you have:
- At least seven years of experience in healthcare-focused management consulting, corporate strategy, business operations, benefits brokerage or other professional services, program or project management, or related experience.
- Significant experience managing healthcare data and analytics projects; past experience analyzing healthcare claims a plus.
- Advanced skillset in Excel (e.g. charting, pivot table, gannt chart).
- Intellectual curiosity and interest in healthcare delivery, funding and financing, healthcare system transformation and healthcare policy.
Education and Travel
A bachelor’s degree is required and an advanced degree in science, data science, public health, public policy, business or related area is a plus. Less than 20% travel required.
We are a dynamic, growing organization that embraces critical thinking, problem-solving and innovative ideas. If you have relevant experience and qualifications, please send your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
The Peterson Center on Healthcare is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.