Software Engineering Tech Lead/Manager
About the Peterson Center on Healthcare
The Peterson Center on Healthcare is a non-profit organization dedicated to making higher quality, more affordable healthcare a reality for all Americans. The organization is working to transform U.S. healthcare into a high-performance system by finding innovative solutions that improve quality and lower costs, and accelerating their adoption on a national scale. Established by the Peter G. Peterson Foundation, the Center collaborates with stakeholders across the healthcare system and engages in grant-making, partnerships, and research.
The Software Engineering Tech Lead/Manager will become the anchor of a growing software development team, managing and building the Center’s internal ability to quickly build and deploy software to our primary care practice, facilitator and internal staff users. The Tech Lead/Manager will report to the Director of Product Development. This is a full-time position located in New York, N.Y.
The Tech Lead/Manager will lead a development team building products that could positively impact the quality of care delivered to millions of patients, improve the quality of life for thousands of physicians, and significantly reduce the cost burden of U.S. healthcare. The Center is taking a model of high-performance primary care identified through our work with Stanford University’s Clinical Excellence Research Center and advancing it in several primary care practices through an integrated product and service effort.
The successful candidate will be the voice of technology in our organization, the anchor of our engineering team, and the go-to person on every aspect of our software development with the ability to quickly translate abstract concepts into reality. Depending on your experience, you may begin as an individual contributor and grow into a tech lead/manager role as you build an engineering team.
The main responsibilities of the job include:
- Developing functional software from user stories generated by our UX research analyst and field team, and deploying these prototypes to physician and practice staff users, and collecting user feedback to share with team
- Recruiting a team of software developers, and managing/mentoring this team to ship product features meeting the deadlines of our MVP and Alpha/Beta releases through 2017 and into 2018
- Partnering with Director of Product Development on technical ownership initially transitioning our work from a development agency building our MVP, and building the ability to integrate product releases with iterations on an evolving service model (human coaching/facilitation of primary care practices)
- Monitoring product performance and reliability through tools such as PagerDuty and NewRelic, along with log analysis tools such as Kibana, Elasticsearch, and Logstash
- Proactively addressing software product bugs, and building in a test-driven development environment and quality assurance system, including utilizing continuous integration and automated deployment tools such as Travis CI or Jenkins
Some initial projects may include:
- Creating a digital network connecting primary care practices with peers and subject matter experts, and setting up a platform for sharing user-generated content
- Developing personalized pathways through an evidence-based curriculum for healthcare professionals, complete with multimedia and dynamic content
- Building data visualizations to show personalized feedback to healthcare professionals based on their practice goals and showing the impact of their actions
The ideal candidate will have:
- Strong hands-on technical skills and the ability to contribute to coding and architecture as a senior engineer
- Both backend and frontend development experience
- Experience deploying production applications to AWS EC2 clusters and utilizing S3 buckets
- Ability to quickly build and ship functional prototypes with user analytics/tracking baked in for continuous user feedback and iterations
- Track record of leadership and successful product delivery in a startup or agile technology company
- Multiple years of professional agile experience including TDD and pairing
- Passion for creating a new type of care model in healthcare that leverages technology in ways that can result in a step-function improvement in both patient outcomes and cost of delivery
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative multi-disciplinary team who bring experience in improvement science, healthcare management, public health, design, software development, product, and more
- Excellent project management and multi-tasking skills
- Experience mentoring and growing junior and mid-level developers as they progress in their skills and career
- Nice to have: Experience working with and sourcing multiple types of healthcare data across cost of care (claims), clinical (EHR), qualitative (staff/patient satisfaction, engagement)
- Nice to have: Experience integrating with software systems at hospitals and developing relationships with staff to build these integrations
- Nice to have: Credibility and the ability to build relationships with the open source development community
- 3–6+ years of experience in software development, ideally with 2–3 years of experience developing applications for healthcare stakeholders
- 1–2+ years of experience managing a team of developers to successfully ship product features throughout the lifecycle of a product
- Passion for social entrepreneurship and improving healthcare
We are a dynamic, growing organization that embraces critical thinking, problem solving and innovative ideas. If you have relevant experience and qualifications, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.