Vice President, Digital Health Technology Assessment
About the Peterson Center on Healthcare
The Peterson Center on Healthcare is a non-profit organization dedicated to making higher quality, more affordable healthcare a reality for all Americans. The organization is working to transform U.S. healthcare into a high-performance system by finding innovative solutions that improve quality and lower costs, and accelerating their adoption on a national scale. Established by the Peter G. Peterson Foundation, the Center collaborates with stakeholders across the healthcare system and engages in grant-making, partnerships, and research.
The Peterson Center on Healthcare is working with partners to launch an independent initiative to assess the clinical and economic value of digital health technology (DHT). DHT encompasses an array of digital products and services, from technologies that engage consumers for lifestyle and wellness purposes to digital medicine and therapeutics that must be cleared by regulatory bodies.
This major new initiative from the Center aims to promote clear evidence standards and to provide payers and other stakeholders with objective reviews to guide decisions on coverage, pricing, and the need for further research. By identifying technologies and assessing their evidence, the initiative aims to promote more informed purchasing decisions—both encouraging broader uptake of high-value technologies and discouraging adoption of low-value technologies.
About the Opportunity
The Center is seeking a Vice President, Digital Health Technology Assessment (“VP”) to support its initiative focused on increasing the utilization of high-value digital health technology (DHT). DHT encompasses an array of digital products and services, from technologies that engage consumers for lifestyle and wellness purposes to digital medicine and therapeutics that must be cleared by regulatory bodies. This initiative aims to transform the DHT purchasing environment by providing credible, data-driven information to shift the market away from uncertain purchasing decisions and toward high-value investments informed by evidence.
The VP will be responsible for the development and ongoing management of the DHT initiative’s assessment and report development functions. This position will oversee the creation of the DHT value assessment framework, ensure proper application of the framework to selected DHT, and oversee the production of public facing reports.
More specifically, the responsibilities include:
Value Assessment Framework Development
- Direct the development of a multidisciplinary value assessment framework integrating clinical, economic, security, and usability domains, among others
- Collaborate with subject matter experts (SMEs), vendors, and internal leadership to craft a DHT value assessment framework that properly integrates and weights domains
- Solicit feedback from various stakeholders (including advisory groups and the public) and address accordingly
- Manage case study testing to verify and validate the framework processes
- Ensure framework alignment with Center principles and the DHT initiative’s mission
- Establish and oversee the process by which the value assessment framework will be updated
- In conjunction with experts and Center leadership, determine the timing and process to be utilized for ongoing framework review and adjustments
- Keep abreast of developments in value assessment methodologies and best practices for digital health technologies and related fields
- Build rapport and an engagement cadence with key stakeholders and SMEs to obtain timely input on proposed framework modifications
Assessment Report & Output Generation
- Manage the application of the value assessment framework to selected technologies
- Lend support and knowledge to the DHT selection process as applicable
- Oversee process execution from internal value determinations to proper management of outsourced domain assessments to external experts
- Assume responsibility for overall integration of domain assessments, escalating issues to Center leadership as needed
- Spearhead value assessment report creation
- In an iterative process with Center leadership, design the assessment reports for optimal usability by target audience(s)
- Lead convenings of various advisory group members and other stakeholders to collect actionable feedback on the reports
- Thoroughly review and validate the report findings prior to executive sign-off
- Possess a comprehensive and nuanced understanding of the initiative’s assessment function and have the capacity to describe it clearly, both internally and to external parties as required
- Collaborate with internal leadership and communications vendors to develop or review external messaging on the framework and subsequent reports
Administration, Culture, and Supervisory Responsibilities
- Responsible for the professional development, support, and supervision of two to three full-time employees
- In charge of project management, budget monitoring, and external vendor/stakeholder relations for the DHT initiative’s assessment function
- Must maintain confidentiality, professionalism, and vigilance regarding conflicts of interest at all times
About the Successful Candidate
The successful candidate will be an accomplished healthcare professional committed to transforming the U.S. healthcare system. They will also be strategic, a strong collaborator, interested in developing staff, and able to bring the skills to build and enhance the assessment function within the DHT initiative.
- An advanced degree with a minimum of 18+ years of direct healthcare work and related experience such as with healthcare economics, evaluation, management consulting, project management for large-scale healthcare research initiatives
- Strong technical expertise in digital health solutions and/or related assessment methods
- Demonstrated skills in quantitative and qualitative analysis methods
- Able to plan and think strategically, set realistic goals and objectives, balance multiple priorities, and manage project details
- A team builder and leader who can develop, mentor, and grow staff
- Ability to build strong relationships and collaborate well with colleagues and organizational leadership as the DHT assessment expert
- A nimble learner who is self-directed, intellectually curious, adaptable, and enjoys facing new situations and the challenge of ambiguity
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and the personal presence to represent the Center in diverse forums and organizational relationships
- In order to build productive relationships across the organization and to ensure effective collaboration, this role requires in-person presence in accordance with the organization’s hybrid schedule of working in the office three days per week (Monday/Tuesday/Thursday)
Salary and Benefits
We anticipate that the starting base salary range for this position will be $215,000 to $220,000, plus eligibility for an annual discretionary bonus. In addition, we offer a generous benefits package designed to support employee health and well-being, including comprehensive health insurance, a substantial 401k match, paid time off, a hybrid work schedule, and other flexible work policies.
We are a dynamic, growing organization that embraces critical thinking, problem-solving, and innovative ideas. If you have relevant experience and qualifications, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Peterson Center on Healthcare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply to our organization. We offer a welcoming community that respects each individual and fosters a diverse set of experiences, perspectives, skills, and ideas. We are committed to building a workplace in which every team member can thrive personally and professionally and contribute to our mission.